Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"The Kitchen of Meaning" by Roland Barthes journal entry

This excerpt by Roland Barthes dictates that every little thing we do, touch, and see in our everyday life has meaning. He also states that everything has something in common, I think what Barthes is saying here is that everything is somewhat connected to each other. Barthes says they "all are signs." He goes on and argues about how most of the time people tend to take everything as "natural" information when in reality if we take the time to think about it, it is complex. He backs up his argument by giving us an example of how we understand our language. Barthes argues that "We all understand our language so "naturally" that it never occurs to us that it is an extremely complicated system." I would have agree with his argument here because if one day somebody tells me that I have to make my own language I don't think I would get very far. What Barthes is trying to say here is semiology is constantly expanding and that there is so much more to discover since every single thing in this world holds meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment